Wednesday, May 07, 2008

THE CRIMINALIST by Eugene Izzi

When I was just out of college and money was tighter than a Democratic primary, there were three authors I would actually pay to read. Waiting for their books to come to the library was a torture I was unwilling to endure. They were Robert B. Parker, Loren D. Estleman and Eugene Izzi. Izzi was a tough guy novelist who did for Chicago what Estleman did for Detroit and Parker for Boston. He never had the humor of Parker nor the mannered style of Estleman, but wow could he tell a story. I’m recommending THE CRIMINALIST, the last and best book by the unfortunate author. Unfortunate because after it was written, Izzi was found hanging by a rope outside his office window. It was listed as a suicide but he was found clad in a bullet proof vest with bruises on his face. There were rumors Izzi had written a book about police corruption that was a little too close to the facts, and that a police hit squad had killed him and made it look like a suicide. Anyway, that’s another mystery for another blog. THE CRIMINALIST is raw, full of testosterone and grim like all of Izzi’s novels, with a very intricate, yet totally believable plot. He is at the top of his game in this novel. I would recommend all of Izzi’s books, but if your want to start with the best, go with the last.

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks R2. Looks like a great one. Always shocked at how many books I've missed along the way.

Clair D. said...

I had a lot of trouble with Estelmen's popular culture references. Half the time I didn't know what he was talking about, which was disappointing because otherwise he had such a nice way of writing.

r2 said...

Based on your suggestion, I am going to try, if I can figure it out (I'm really bad at this stuff), links to my stuff on my site.

How many books of Estelman have you read? Some of them aren't as larded with pop culture references.

Clair D. said...

Only a couple. Glass Highway was one. I don't remember the others. It was quite a while ago.

r2 said...

Try his latest two: AMERICAN DETECTIVE and NICOTINE KISS. Estleman just gets better every book. There are fewer pop cultural references. There's much more of the kind of writing I see in Bo Fexler stories.
The hard stuff. The good stuff. It goes down easy and packs a wallop.

Unknown said...

R2,

I love Izzi and he's without question one of the best Noir writers to come out of the eighties. I've been obsessing over his books for about the past year. I'd love for a house like Hard Case Crime to start re-issuing one or two of them